Thursday, August 31, 2006

Divorce - Muslim style

From a news story with Ananova:

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1781752.html?menu=news.quirkies.rockyrelationships

To get divorced in the Muslim world, all one must do is say: I divorce thee - 3 times...
With the divorce rate in America - I do not believe we are much different.
It is really sad...

Man got divorced in his sleep

An Indian Muslim man has reportedly been ordered to separate from his wife after saying 'I divorce thee' in his sleep.
Aftab Ansari was told to leave Sohela, his wife of 11 years, after he said ‘talaq’ - the Arabic equivalent of 'I divorce thee' - three times while asleep.
Religious scholars in Jalpaiguri, West Bengal, told the couple to obey orders or face social boycott, reports Asian News International.
The couple were told the only alternative under Muslim law was a temporary separation of 100 days during which the wife would stay at her father’s house and spend a night with another man who she must marry.
Sohela could then remarry Aftab after obtaining a divorce from her second husband.
But the mother of three has threatened to commit suicide if forced to marry someone else: “I love him and I don’t want to leave him in any case," she said.
But Aftab said: “I think what my society is doing is also not wrong. I think they are doing what they think is right.”

Well at least this cuts out the divorce lawyers....

Bob